I will decrease the amount of water by 2 cups the next time I make this; it was painful to wait for the water to be absorbed while the lentils were already cooked. I served this with grilled Naan, an Indian flatbread made from yogurt.
- 1 1/2 cups dried red lentils, rinsed
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Large pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 lemon
Combine the lentils, 6 cups water, the tomato, ginger, turmeric, cayenne and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and cook, vigorously whisking occasionally, until the lentils are broken up and the mixture is thick, about 45 minutes.
Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute; stir into the lentils along with the cilantro and lemon juice. Season with salt.