This one is all Matt's. I worked late so he made the whole thing and it was delicious! We'll definitely be making it again.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 jalapenos, finely diced (we left this out because we don't like a lot of spice)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (this seemed like too much chicken!)
- 2 limes, juiced, plus wedges for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 (8-inch) flour tortilla, grilled, cut into thin strips
- 1 avocado, pitted, sliced
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey cheese
DirectionsIn a large saucepan heat the vegetable oil. Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes. Once the onions have softened add the garlic and jalepenos and cook for another minute. Pour the chicken broth, tomatoes and beans into the pot and bring to a boil. Once at a boil lower heat to simmer and add your chicken breasts. Cook the chicken for 20 to 25 minutes. Once chicken is cooked remove from pot. When cool enough to handle shred it and set it aside. Add lime juice and fresh cilantro to the pot. In a serving bowl add a mound of shredded chicken. Ladle soup over chicken and top with a lime wedge, grilled tortilla strips, avocado slices and cheese.