So luscious I promise you won't miss the meat! Try using whole grain noodles and fat free or low fat dairy products to make this even healthier.
Source: Better Homes & Gardens Italian Favorites
- 12 dried lasagna noodles (I used whole grain)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups cream-style cottage cheese (fat free or low fat)
- 15 ounce carton ricotta cheese (fat free or low fat)
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 - 1teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4cups skim milk
- 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and thoroughly drained
- 10 ounce package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and thoroughly drained
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (3 ounces)
- 18 ounce package shredded mozzarella cheese (2 cups)
1. Cook noodles, drain, and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine eggs, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet cook mushrooms, onion, and garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in flour and pepper; add milk. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in the spinach, broccoli, carrot, and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese.
4. To assemble, spoon 1/2 cup of the vegetable mixture into a greased 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Layer one-third of the noodles onto the sauce. Spread on one-third of the cottage cheese mixture, then one third of the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with one-third of the mozzarella. Repeat the layers twice. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.