2 c all purpose flour
1 c yellow cornmeal
1 c sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3/4 c lowfat plain yogurt
1/2 c whole milk
1 t vanilla extract
4 T (1/2 stick) butter
2 large eggs
1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat a 12 cup muffin tin with vegetable spray.
2. Whisk the flour, cornbread, 1/4 c of sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt, milk, and vanilla.
3. In a large bowl, beat the remaining 3/4 cup sugar and butter together with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until creamy and uniform, 3 to 6 minutes, scraping down the bowl as needed. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until combined, about 30 seconds.
4. Reduce the mixer speed to low. Beat in one-third of the flour mixture followed by half of the yogurt mixture, scraping down the bowl as needed. Repeat with half of the remaining flour mixture and the remaining yogurt. Beat in the remaining flour mixture until just incorporated (do not overmix).
5. Using a 1/3 cup measure coated with vegetable oil spray, portion the batter into each mixture cup.
6. Bake the muffins until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out just a few crumbs attached, 18-20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking. Let the muffins cool in the pan for five minutes, then flip out onto a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.